I. Answer the following questions:

1Draw up a list of the different festivals celebrated in your locality. Which of these celebrations are shared by members of different regional and religious communities?
Ans:
The list of different festivals celebrated in my locality are Ganesh Chaturthi,  Holi, Christmas, Gudi Padwa ,etc. Members of different regional and religious communities celebrate Republic day, Independence Day and Gandhi Jayanti together.

2What do you think living in India with its rich heritage of diversity adds to your life?
Ans:
India is a country with a rich heritage of diversity. People belong to different religions, speak different languages, wear different clothes, eat different food among other diversities. In spite of all this we are united, we share the same national symbols, national virtues and feelings. Being an Indian gives us the divine idea of ‘Sarvadharma Sambhava’ which means we have the virtue of respecting all religions since all religions  are one.

3Do you think the term “unity in diversity’ is an appropriate term to describe India? What do you think Nehru is trying to say about Indian unity in the sentence quoted above from his book’ The discovery of India’?
Ans:
Yes , it is an appropriate term. India is a large country and people follow different faiths, speak various languages wear and eat differently.So there is diversity.
Despite diversity there is unity. We celebrate the national days with equal zeal. We all sing the national anthem as and when needed. This shows our unity.
Nehru wrote a book called “Discovery of India” . India is not only united but its people know how to accept each others customs and beliefs.

4Underline the line in the poem sung after the Jallianwala Bagh massacre which according to you, reflects India’s essential unity?
Ans:
The underlined line in the poem is The blood of Hindus and Muslims flows together today”. It reflects India’s unity when it came to struggling for freedom of the country. Hindus and Muslims fought together and their blood flows together.

II. Choose the correct answer:

(a)  Samir Do  thought Samir Ek did not know _______ .
i) English            ii) Hindi            iii) Urdu    iv) Punjabi

(b) Samir  Do’s family lived in _______ .
i) Delhi               ii) Meerut          iii) Bihar        iv) Jaipur

(c )  Which of these  are not an example of inequality?
(i) casting the vote for electing the government          (ii) belonging to a different religion.
(iii) speaking one language and not another                (iv) earning money.

(d)  Which of  these is not a reason for diversity?
i) history of a region             ii) habitat of a person  .

(e) Ladakh is a desert in the state of ______ .
i) Kerala              ii) Madhya Pradesh            iii)  Jammu and Kashmir           iv) Rajasthan.

Answers:
(a)  Hindi   (b) Meerut  (c) casting the vote for electing government (d) history of a region (e) Jammu and Kashmir.

III. Fill in the blanks:

1.  The caste system is a form of ——- .

2.  Inequality comes when a person does not have the ——– and ——–  .

3.  A country’s customs, religions, arts and history constitute its ———  .

4.  Habitat is associated with the ——– —– one live in.

5.  A British General opened fire on a public meeting in ————- .

Answers:

1.  Inequality                       2.  resources and opportunities             3.  culture
4.  geographical area         5.  Jallianwala Bagh.

IV. Say whether the following are True or False:

i) All Indians sing the national anthem.

ii) All Indians speak the same language.

iii) Caste system is an example of diversity.

iv) Nehru was the first President of India.

v)  Ladakh is known as little Tibet.

Answers :
 i)  True          ii) False         iii) False           iv) False        v) True

V. Match the following:-

A                                                      B

1.  Ladakh                              a) The discovery of India.

2.  Kerala                               b) The National Anthem.

3.  Amritsar                           c) Jallianwala Bagh

4.  Rabindranath Tagore    d) wool

5.  Jawaharlal Nehru           e) spices

Answers:

1.  Ladakh                             –      wool

2.  Kerala                              –     spices

3.  Amritsar                          –    Jallianwala Bagh

4.  Rabindranath Tagore   –    National Anthem

5.  Jawaharlal Nehru          –    The discovery of India.

V. Complete the following sentences
:

i) Speaking different languages and living in different parts of India ——————–  .

ii) Samir Do thought that the paper boy did not know Hindi because ——————-  .

iii) Samir Do was tensed because ————————  .

iv) During the freedom struggle the Indian flag was used as ———————    .

Answers:

i) are examples of diversity.

ii) he looked like a foreigner.

iii) riots had broken out in Meerut.

iv) A symbol of protest against the British  .