1.2   Text Questions :

1.  Choose the correct answers :

i) Which one of the following type of resources is an iron ore?

a) Renewable                                        b) Biotic
c) Flow                                                   d) Non – Renewable

ii) Under which of the following types of resources can tidal energy be placed?

a) Replenishable                                 b) Abiotic
c) Man – made                                   d) Non – recyclable

iii) Which one of the following is the main cause of land degradation in Punjab?

a) Intensive Cultivation                   b) Deforestation
c) Over irrigation                              d) Overgrazing

iv) In which one of the following states in terrace cultivation practiced?

a) Punjab                                             b) Haryana
c) Plains of Uttar Pradesh               d) Uttaranchal

v) In which of the following states in black soil found?

a) Jammu and Kashmir                   b) Gujarat
c) Rajasthan                                       d) Jharkhand

Answers:
i) d)             ii) a)               iii) c)                  iv) d)               v) b)   .

2.  Answer the following questions in about 30 words:

1.  Name three states having black soil and the crop which is mainly grown in it.
Ans: Three states having black soil are as follows:
i) Maharashtra                     ii) Gujarat                        iii) Madhya Pradesh
The crop which is mainly grown in it is cotton.

2.  What type of soil is found in the river deltas of the eastern coast? Give three main features of this type of soil.
Ans: Alluvial soil I found in the deltas of the rivers in the eastern coast. Three features are:
i) They are very fertile, so regions of alluvial soil are intensively cultivated.
ii) They contain enough of potash, Phosphoric acid and lime in the right proportion.
iii) Alluvial soil consists of different proportion of sand, silt and clay.

3.  What steps can be taken to control soil erosion in the hilly areas?
Ans: Steps that can be taken to control soil erosion in the hilly areas are as follows:
i) Steps can be cut out on the slopes making terraces because terrace cultivation prevents Erosions.
ii) Ploughing can be done along the contour lines, so that water will not run down the slopes. This process is called Contour ploughing.

4.  What are biotic and abiotic resources? Give some example.
Ans:
Biotic Resources – The resources which are obtained from the biosphere and are living are called biotic resources. E.g : Plants, animals, human beings and fish.
Abiotic Resources – The resources which are composed of non – living things are called abiotic resources. E.g : Water, Minerals, Metals, Wind, Solar energy, Fossil fuels, etc.

5.  Explain land use pattern in India and why has the land under forest not increased much from 1960-61?
Ans: Land use pattern in India:
i) About 46% area is the net sown area in the country.
ii) Forests occupy about 22% of total area.
iii) The waste or wasteland is nearly 5% of the area.
iv) Fallow land covers about 8% of the total area.
v) The land under permanent pastures and tree crops is only 5%  .
vi) The land not available for cultivation is nearly 14%.

Land under forest has not increased much from 1960-61 because of the following reasons:
i) There is illegal clearing of forests for industrial and domestic purposes.
ii) Industrialists want to earn more and more profits.
iii) The people are not made aware of the disastrous effects of deforestation.

6.  How have technical and economic development led to more consumption of resources?
Ans:

i) Technological development provides sophisticated equipment’s, as a result, production increases. Ultimately, it leads to more consumption of resources.
ii) Technological development also leads to economic developments. When the economic conditions of a country rises, the needs of the people also rise. This results in depletion of resources.
iii) Economic development provides a favourable environment for the development of the latest technologies. It helps to converts materials found around us into resources.