2.2   Text Questions :

I.  Answer the following :

1.  How can the stereotype that girls are a burden on their parents affect the life of a daughter? Imagine this situation and list at least five different effects that this stereotype can have on the way daughters get treated in the house.
Ans:
Girls are treated as a burden . They are not given equal preference and opportunities . Some different effects of this are:
i) Girls will feel discouraged and may not concentrate on their studies.
ii) They will not be able to achieve a separate identity.
iii) When not allowed to join colleges they feel help less and discriminated.
iv) Marriage does not solve their problems.
v)  They are ill-treated even by their in-laws.

2.  What does the Constitution say with regard to equality? Why do you think it is important for all people to be equal?
Ans:
Constitution says that the state cannot discriminate against any citizen. All should be equal ,then the society will develop . It is our right to be treated equally, so that we can go ahead and prove ourselves helpful to the society.

II. Sometimes people make prejudiced comments in our presence. We are often not in a position to do anything about this because it is difficult to say something right then and there. Divide the class into groups and each group discuss what they could do in one of the following situations.

What should you do when : 

1.  A friend begins to tease a classmate because he is poor.
Me— I shall tell my friend that being poor is not a crime.

2.  You are watching T.V. with your family and one of them makes a prejudicial comment about a particular religious community.
Me— I shall stop that family member from making further comments.

3.  Children in your class refuse to share their food with a particular person because they think she is dirty.
Me— I shall advise them to be friendly and share their food.

4.  Someone tells you a joke that makes fun of a community because of their accent.
Me— I will not get involved in that joke as it is not a joke because it hurts the sentiments of that community.

5.  Some boys make remarks about girls not being able to play games as well as them.
Me— I shall convince them that girls are equally strong and also capable of doing almost everything that a boy can do.

III.  Match the following statements in a way that challenges stereo types:

a) The surgeons were sitting down                       suffers from chronic .
to lunch when one of them made
a call on the mobile phone.

b) The boy who won the drawing                           to become an astronaut
competition went to the Dias .                                    which she did.

c) One of the fastest athletes in                                to speak with her
the world returned from school.                        daughter who had just .

d) She was not that well- off but                            on a wheel chair to
had a dream .                                                               collect his prize.

Answers:

a) The surgeons were sitting down to lunch when one of them made a call on the mobile phone – to speak with her daughter who had just returned from school.

b) The who won the drawing competition went to the Dias on wheelchair to collect his prize .

c) One of the fastest athletes in the world suffers from chronic asthma.

d) She was not that well-off but had a dream to become an astronaut which she did.

IV. Choose the correct word:

i) The number of major religions in the world .
a) Six                  b) Seven                      c) Eight                                d) Nine

ii) An important reason Muslim girls do not attend school or drop out from school after a few years .
a) Poverty          b) Superstition          c) Lack of willingness      d) Parent control

iii) The community that was treated as untouchables in the Bombay Presidency.
a) Koli                 b) Mahar                    c) Nayar                              d) Dalits

iv) The leader of the Dalits was ___________ .
a) Rajendra Prasad        b) Guru Tej Bahadur         c) Dr. Ambedkar       d) Vallabhbhai Patel

Answers :
i) Eight         ii) Poverty             iii) Mahar           iv) Dr. Ambedkar

V.  Fill in the blanks:-

1.  The upper caste did not give the so called ————— the same rights as they enjoyed .

2.  If you do something to put other people down, you are ————— against them.

3.  ————- means to see people as inferior .

4.  Dr. Ambedkar fought for the rights of the —————  .

5.  ————– unites all Indians .

6.  —————— country means all have the right to follow their religion .

Answers:
1.  Untouchables            2.  Discriminating             3.  Prejudice
4.  Dalits                          5.  Equality                         6.  Secular

VI.  Say whether the following are True or False :

1.  We have more than 1600 languages that are people’s mother tongue.

2.  We feel secure with people who are different from us.

3.  Dalits are referred to as scheduled tribes.

4.  Dr. Ambedkar belonged to the Mahar caste .

5.  Government jobs are only for upper caste.

Answers :
1.  True               2.  False                3.  False                 4.  True                 5.  False .