2.2   Text Questions :

1.  Fill in the blanks using the correct option given in the bracket:

i) Employment in the service sector __________increased to the same extent as production. (Has/Has not)

ii) Worker in the _______sector does not produce goods. (Tertiary / Agricultural)

iii) Most of the workers in the _________ sector enjoy by security. (Organized / Unorganized).

iv) A_________ proportion of laborers in Indian is working in the unorganized sector. (Large /Small)

v) Cotton is a ____________ product and cloth is a __________ product. (Natural / Manufactured)

vi) The activities in the primary, secondary and tertiary sector are _________ (Independent / Interdependent)

Answers :
i) Employment in the service sector has not increased to the same extent as production.

ii) Worker in the Tertiary sector does not produce goods.

iii) Most of the workers in the Organized sector enjoy by security.

iv) A Large proportion of laborers in Indian are working in the unorganized sector.

v) Cotton is a Natural product and cloth is a manufactured .

vi) The activities in the primary, secondary and tertiary sector are Interdependent .

2.   Choose the most appropriate answers:

(a)  The sectors are classified into public and private sectors on the basis of:

i) Employment conditions                            ii) The nature economic activity
ii) Ownership of enterprises                        iv) Numbers of workers employed in the enterprises

Ans:  (iii) Ownership of enterprises.

(b)  Production of commodity, mostly through the natural process, is an activity In _________ sector.

i) Primary                                                        ii) Secondary
ii) Tertiary                                                      iv) Information technology

Ans:  (i) Primary.

(c)  GDP is the total value of ___________ produced during a particular year.

i) All goods and services                                  ii) All final goods and services
iii) All intermediate goods and services      iv) All intermediate and final goods and services .

Ans: (ii) All final goods and services.

(d)  In the term of GDP the share of tertiary sector in 2003 is __________ .

i) Between 20 per cent to 30 per cent            ii) Between 30 per cent to 40 per cent
ii) Between 50 per cent to 60 per cent          iv) 70 per cent

Ans: (iii) Between 50 per cent to 60 per cent.

3.   Match the following:

Problems faced by farming sector Some possible measures
1) Un-irrigated land a) Setting up agro-based mills
2) Low prices for crops b) Co-operative marketing societies
3) Debt burden c) Procurement of food grains by government
4) No job in the off season d) Construction of canals by the government
5) Compelled to sell their grains to the local traders soon after harvest . e) Banks to provide credit with low interest .

Ans:  1. (d)                 2. (b)                3. (e)                4. (a)                5. (c)

4.  Find the odd one out and say why :

i)  Tourist guide ,dhobi,tailor,potter .
Ans:  Potter. This is because, only the potter relates to the secondary sector.

ii)  Teacher , doctor, vegetable vender , lawyer .
Ans: 
Vegetable vendor. Since only he directly helps in the production of goods.

iii)  Postman, cobbler , soldier , police constable .
Ans: 
Cobbler. This is because; only the cobbler falls in the private sector.

iv)  MTNL, Indian Railways , Air India , Sahara Airlines , All India .
Ans: 
 Sahara Airlines. Since, only this is a private sector company.

5.  A research scholar looked at the working people in the city of Surat and found the following:

i)  Complete the table :

Place of work Nature of employment Percentage of working people
In offices and factories registered with the government Organised 15
Own shops, offices, clinics in market places with formal license   20
People working in the  street , construction workers , domestic workers    
Working in small workshops usually not registered with the government    

Ans : i) 

Place of work Nature of employment Percentage of working people
In offices and factories registered with the government Organised 15
Own shops, offices, clinics in market places with formal license Organised 15
People working in the  street , construction workers , domestic workers Un-organised 20
Working in small workshops usually not registered with the government Un-organised 50

(ii)  What is the percentage of workers in the unorganized sectors in the city?
Ans:  The percentage of workers in the unorganized sectors in the city is 70%.

6.   Do you think classification of economic activities into primary, secondary and tertiary is useful? Explain How.
Ans: 
Yes, The classification of economic activities into primary, secondary and tertiary is useful.
This is because:
i) Primary sector includes those activities that are undertaken by directly using natural resources. For example, cultivation of paddy, wheat, and so on.

ii) Secondary sector covers those activities in which natural or primary products are changed into other forms through ways of manufacturing. For example, cloth from cotton.

iii) Tertiary sector includes those activities that help in the development of the primary and secondary sectors. For example, banking, transportation, so on.

7.  For each of the sectors that we came across this chapter, why should one focus on employment and GDP? Could there be other issues which should be examined Discuss.
Ans: 
For each of the sectors mentioned in this chapter, our focus should definitely be on employment and GDP. This is because growth in GDP and full employment are the common goals of our five year plans.
The other issues which should be examined are:
i) Balance regional development in the country.
ii) Equality of income and wealth among the people of the country.
iii) Removal of poverty.
iv) Modernization of technology.
v) Self-reliance of the country.

8.  On the basis of nature of economic activity, they can be classified into:
Ans :
a)  Primary Sector:This includes those activities that are undertaken by directly using natural resources, e.g., agricultural laborers.

b)  Secondary Sector: This covers those activities in which natural or primary products are changed into other forms through ways of manufacturing, i.e., paper from bamboo.

c)  Tertiary Sector: This includes those activities that help in the development of the primary and secondary sectors, i.e., that is railways, banking and so on.

9.  How is the tertiary sector different from other sectors? Illustrate with a few examples.
Ans:
  The tertiary sector is different from the other two sectors. This is because, the other two sectors produce goods but this sector does not produced goods by itself. But the activities under this sector help in the development of the primary and secondary sectors. The goods that are produced in other sectors need to be transported by tractors, trucks or trains. It is also necessary to store these products in god downs or cold storage.

10.  What do you understand by disguised unemployment? Explain with an example each from the urban and rural areas.
Ans:

i) Disguised unemployment:
There are people who seem to be employed but are actually unemployed. This situation is known as disguised or hidden unemployment.

ii) Example from Urban areas: This type of unemployment is generally found in the agriculture plot where they all find work. If 3 of them are withdrawn there is no reduction in output. So, the 3 people are said to be disguisedly employed.

iii) Example from Urban areas: This type of unemployment Is also found in the families engaged in small shops or small businesses in urban areas.

11.  The service sector in India employs two different kinds of people. Who are they?
Ans: 
The service sector in India employs two different kinds of people. They are:
i) The people involved in the services that may directly help in the production of goods. For example, the people involved in the transportation, storage, communication, banking, trade, and so on.
ii) The people involved in such services that may not directly help in the production of goods. For example, teachers, doctors, Wassermann, barbers, cobblers, lawyers, and so on.

12.  Workers are exploited in the Un-organised sector. Do you agree with this view? Give reasons in support of your answer.
Ans:
  Yes, laborers are exploited in the Un-organised sector. This may be clear from the following points :
i) There is no fixed numbers of working hours. The laborer usually works 10-12 hours a day, without being paid overtime.
ii) These people get no other allowance apart from daily wages.
iii) Government rules and regulations to protect the labourer are not followed here.
iv) There is no job security. The labourer can be asked to leave at any time without any reason by the employer.
v) They do low paid jobs. The labourer in this sector is generally illiterate, ignorant and unorganized.

13.  How are the activities in the economy classified on the basis of employment conditions?
Ans: 
On the basis of employment conditions, the activities in the economy are classified into Organised Sector and Un-organised Sector.
i)  Organised Sector: Organised Sector covers those enterprises or places of work which are registered by the government and have to follow its rules and regulations.For example: Reliance Industries Ltd, Convent Publications Ltd. And so on.
ii)   Un-organised Sector: It includes those small and scattered units which are largely outside the control of the government. Though there are rules and regulations, the same are not followed here. For example: landless agriculture labourer, casual workers in construction, trade and transport, and so on.

14.  The employment conditions prevailing in the organised and un-organised sector.
Ans: 

Employment conditions in the organised sector :
i) The labourer gets a regular monthly salary.
ii) The labourers are expected to work only a fixed number of hours.
iii) People enjoy security of employment.
iv) There are several facilities like safe drinking water and a safe working environment.

Employments conditions in the un-organised sector :
i) The labourer gets daily wages.
ii) There is no fixed number of working hours.
iii) There is no job security.
iv) There are no such facilities.

15.  Using examples from your area compare and contrast the activities and functions of private and public sectors.
Ans :

Public Sector Private Sector
i) The government owns most of the assets and provides all essential services . i) The ownership of the assets and delivery of services is in the hands of the private individuals or companies .
ii) The purpose of the public sector is to increase public welfare . ii) The private sector is guided by profit motive.
iii) The government invests large sums of money in the public projects necessary for the society . iii) The private sector is not interested in such long term and high capital projects due to profit motive .

16.  Give three examples of public sector activities. Explain why the government has taken them up.
Ans: These may be follows:
i) RailwaysThe government has taken it up for the following reasons:
a) Only government can invest large sum of money in this public project with a long gestation period.
b) To ensure easier cheap availability of transportation.
c) To serve the equipment needs of strategically important sectors.

ii) All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS):To provide quality health services at cheap rates was the main purpose of the government to take it up.

ii) National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd:To provide electricity at a lower rate than the actual cost was the main objective of the government. This is done to protect and encourage the private sector, example small sale industries.