2.2  Text Questions :

Answer the Questions briefly :

1)  What are the three components of a map?
Ans:
The three components of a map are distance, direction and symbols.

2)  What are the four cardinal directions?
Ans: The four cardinal directions are north , south, east and west.

3)  What do you mean by the term ‘the scale of the map’?
Ans: It is the ratio between the actual distance on the ground and the distance shown in the map. There are two types of maps based on the scale – big and small.

4)  How are maps more helpful than a globe?
Ans: A map is a drawing of the earth’s surface or part of it drawn on a flat surface according to scale. It is impossible to flatten a round shape and scale it so a map is more helpful than a globe.

5)  Distinguish between a Map and a Plan.
Ans:
a) A map is a drawing of the earth’s surface or a part of it drawn on a flat surface according to scale.it gives detailed information about a large portion of the earth.
b) A plan is a drawing of a small area on a large scale. It gives confirmed information about a certain small area.

6)  Which map provides detailed information?
Ans: Large scale maps provide detailed information.

7)  How do symbols help in reading maps?
Ans: Symbols represent roads, bridges, trees, railway lines, through certain letters, shades or colours , pictures and lines. So symbols are a convenient means of reading a map.

Tick the correct answers :

a) Maps showing distribution of forests are ___________ .
i) Physical map                       ii) Thematic map √                        iii) Political map

b) The blue colour is used for showing ____________ .
i) Water bodies √                    ii) Mountains                                   iii) Plains

c) A compass is used _____________ .
i) To show symbol                ii) To find the main direction √      iii) To measure distance

d) A scale is necessary __________ .
i) For a map  √                        ii) For a sketch                                  iii) For symbols

e) Which one is not a component of a map ____________ .
i) Direction                    ii) Symbol                        iii) Scale √                         iv) Distance

f) Brown colour is used for showing __________ .
i) Rivers                     ii) Plateaus                         iii) Plains                        iv) Mountains  √

g) A physical map has ____________ .
i) natural features of the earth √                  ii) distribution of forest                  iii) different countries

h) Which one is not an intermediate direction _________ .
i) North east                    ii) North west                      iii) West √                   iv) South east

Answers :
a) Thematic map           b) Water bodies            c) To find main direction                   d) For a map
e) Scale                            f) Mountains                 g) Natural features of the earth        h) West .