2.3   Additional Questions :

I.  Answer the following questions :

1.  What is meant by ‘Vulnerable species’ of plants and animals? Give two examples.
Ans:
Such species of plants and animals whose number has reduced such levels from where they enter in the endangered category slowly are called ‘Vulnerable Species’ of plants and animals. Example: Gangetic Dolphins, Asiatic elephants, Blue sheep and so on.

2.  What are ‘ Endemic Species’ of plants and animals? Give two examples.
Ans:
Species of plants and animals which are limited to particular areas due to natural or geographical conditions are called Endemic Species’.
Example: Andaman Wild pig, Andaman Teal (duck), Nicobar Pigeon and so on.

3.  Where are one horned Rhino found in India?
Ans:
One horned Rhino are found in the swampy and marshy areas of  i) Assam and ii) West Bengal .

4.  What do you mean by ‘Endangered Species’ of plants and animals? Give two examples.
Ans:
Species of plants and animals which are near extinction if conditions for their decline are not checked are called ‘Endangered Species’ of plants and animals.
Example: Indian wild Ass, Indian Rhino, Crocodile, Black buck, Lion Tailed macaque (Africa Ape) and so on.

5.  What are ‘Extinct Species’ of plants and animals? Give two examples.
Ans:
Such species of plants and animals which have not been  found for more than 25 years in any part of the world are known as ‘Extinct Species’ .
Example: Asiatic Cheetah , Pink head Duck and so on.

6.  What are Un-classed forests?
Ans:
These are other forests and waste lands belonging to both government and private individuals and the community.

7.  How does mining leads to degradation?
Ans:
Mining disturbs the natural habitat of many species, leading to degradation.

8.  What is the main objective of the Beej Bachao Andolan in Tehri?
Ans:
To show that enough levels of different types crop production without the use of synthetic chemicals is possible. It is also economically cheap.

9.  How have the villagers benefitted from the Joint Forest Management programme?
Ans:

i) The villagers get benefits like non- timber forest products.
ii) The villagers share in the timber harvested.

10.  What are the ill-effects of deforestation?
Ans:

i) Deforestation leads to soil erosion and affects the underground flow of water.
ii) Depletion of forests leads to disappearance of wildlife as well as many wild varieties .

11.  ‘ Is it necessary to conserve forests and wildlife’. Why?
Ans:

i) Conservation preserves the ecological diversity and our life support system i.e. Water, air and soil.
ii) It preserves the genetic diversity of plants and species and breeding.

12.  Why is Biodiversity important to human beings?
Ans:

i) Human beings depend on biodiversity for their very survival.
ii) Without plants and animals we cannot survive.
iii) Plants create the quality of air that we breathe in.

13.  Distinguish between reforestation and afforestation.
Ans:

Reforestation                                                                              Afforestation

i) It is practiced in areas where forest is destroyed.            i) New forest are planted in new areas

ii) Two sapling are planted to replace every felled tree.    ii) One sapling is planted to get one tree.

14.  How is forest useful to man?
Ans:
Forests are very useful to in number of ways:
i) The wood obtained from the forests is useful for building and construction purposes, for making furniture and for fuel.
ii) The raw material for paper industry, match industry and sports materials are mainly derived from the forests.
iii) They help in controlling soil.
iv) They provide a natural environment for wildlife.
v) They help in enhancing the quality of rainfall.

15.  State any three steps taken by the Government of India to conserve wildlife.
Ans:
To conserve the endangered species of wildlife, various steps have been taken by the government the important one among them are the following:
i) National parks, Sanctuaries and biosphere reserves have been set up in various parts of the country where wild animals and birds are kept in their natural habitat.
ii) The Rhino project is also being implemented in Kaziranga in Assam.
iii) Killing of wildlife has been banned by the government. Special forest officers have been appointed to stop animal hunters.

16.  Women have been affected more than men as a result of the destruction of forests and wildlife. Explain giving three points.
Ans:

i) In many societies, women bear the major responsibility for the collection of fuel, fodder, water and so on.
ii) As these resources are gradually being depleted, the misery of women has increased.
iii) This causes a serious health problems for women.

17.  “ Goa is facing the problem of flora and fauna.” State any two reasons.
Ans:

i) Humans have cleared the jungles for agricultural activities and also for construction of their houses.
ii) As a result of the pollution of air and water, various species of plants have become extinct because pollution of air and water has adversely affected these plants.

18.  How does participation of people play a vital role in the conservation of forest?
Ans:

i) In the Sariska Tiger Reserve in Rajasthan, villagers have fought against mining by citing the Wildlife Protection Act.
ii) The famous ‘Chipko movement’ in the Himalayas has successfully resisted deforestation and has shown the community afforestation is very successful.

II.   Match the animals given in Column A with the states in which they are found in Column B:

Column A                                                                    Column B

i) Lion                                                                          a) Assam

ii) Elephant                                                                 b) Rajasthan

iii) Camel                                                                     c) Gujarat               

iv) Yak                                                                          d) Rann of Kutch

v) Wild Ass                                                                     e) Tibet

Answers :
i) – c)               ii) – a)              iii) – b)             iv) – f)             v) – d)