2.3 Additional Questions :
Answer the following questions :
1. Why were riots at bread shops common by the winter of 1916?
i) Able bodied men were called up to the war.
ii) As a result of labour shortage, workshops producing essential goods were shut down.
iii) Large supplies of grains were sent to the Army.
iv) Bread and flour became scarce in the cities.
2. Describe the October 1917 uprising .
i) The military Revolutionary committee ordered its supporters to seize government offices and arrest ministers.
ii) The ship Aurora shelled the winter palace.
iii) Ships sailed down the Neva and captured military points.
iv) By night fall the city was under control of the Revolutionary committee and the ministers had surrendered.
3. Describe the October revolution?
i) The military Revolutionary community ordered its supporters to seize the government offices and arrest the ministers.
ii) By night the city was under the committees control and the ministers surrender.
4. What changes did the Russian Parliament play after October?
i) Russia became the one party state.
ii) Trade unions were kept under the parties control .
5. What measures were introduced by Stalin?
i) The party forced all peasants to cultivate in collective farms.
ii) The state controlled the large farms.
6. How did the Russian revolution affect other countries?
i) In many countries the communist party was formed.
ii) The Bolsheviks encouraged the colonial people to follow their experiments.
7. Describe the working class in Russia?
i) Workers were divided in a social group.
ii) Metal workers considered themselves higher among the other workers.
iii) Women made up 31% of the factory labour force.
iv) Women were paid less than men.
8. What was the result of bloody Sunday?
i) Strikes took place all over country.
ii) Universities closed down and student bodies staged a walk out.
iii) Lawyers, doctors, engineers and other workers formed unions.
iv) They demanded a constituent assembly.
9. Which incident in Russia is known as Bloody Sunday?
i) A procession of workers led by father Gapon reached the winter palace, it was attacked by the police and the Cossacks.
ii) Over hundred workers were killed and over three hundred
10. What was the result of the suspension of the Duma?
i) Police headquarters were ransacked.
ii) People shouted slogans about bread, wages, working hours and democracy.
11. What was the results of the February revolution?
i) Soviet leaders and Duma leaders formed a provisional government.
ii) A constituent assembly was elected on the bases of universal adult Franchise.
12. Which was the least industrialised European state?
13. What was the main occupation of Russia?
14. Who owned large properties in Russia?
Ans: The nobility, the Crown and the Orthodox church owned large properties.
15. Name the political party found in 1898?
Ans: Russian Social Democratic Workers party.
16. What was the Russia’s major export?
17. How was the Russia peasants different from other European peasants?
Ans: They collectively cultivated crops and divided grains.
18. Why was Russia called an autocracy?
Ans: Tsar was not subjected to the Parliament.
19. What was the aim of the 1905 revolution?
Ans: The 1905 revolution demanded a constitution.
20. Who led the workers to the winter palace?
Ans: Father Gapon .
21. Who attacked the workers at winter palace?
Ans: Police and the Cossacks .
22. Who were the central powers in the war?
Ans: Germany, Austria and Turkey.
23. In which year did the first World War began?
Ans: In 1914 the first world War began .
24. What was the Lenin’s April Theses?
Ans: Lenin’s April Theses had these 3 demands :
i) That war should be brought to an end.
ii) Land to be transferred to the peasants.
iii) Banks should be nationalized.
25. Who asked Tsar to abdicate?
Ans: Military Commander asked Tsar to abdicate .
26. Who formed the Petro grad Soviet?
Ans: The striking workers and the soldiers formed the Petro grad Soviet .
27. Who formed the provisional government of the Tsar abdication?
Ans: Soviet leaders and the Duma leaders formed the provisional government of the Tsar abdication .
28. Who started collectivization program in Russia?
Ans: Stalin started collectivization program in Russia .
29. Why did Russian workers form association?
i) To help members in times of unemployment.
ii) To help members in financial hardships.
30. Why was the Socialist Revolutionary Party formed in 1900?
i) This party struggled for peasants rights.
ii) They demanded that the land belonging to nobels be transferred to peasants.
31. Why did the workers at Saint Peter strike ?
i) They demanded the working hours in a day be reduced to eight hours.
ii) They also demanded the an increase in wages and improvements in working conditions.