3.2   Text Questions :

I.   Multiple Choice Questions:

i) Based on the information given below classify each of the situations as ‘suffering from water scarcity’ or not suffering from water scarcity’.

a) Region with high annual rainfall.
Ans: Not suffering from water scarcity.

b) Region having high annual rainfall and large population.
Ans: Suffering from water scarcity.

c) Regions having annual rainfall but water are highly population.

d) Region having low rainfall and low population.

ii) Which one of the following statements is no an argument in favour of multipurpose river projects?

a) Multipurpose projects bring water to that area which suffers from water scarcity.

b) Multipurpose projects by regulating water flow help to control floods.

c) Multipurpose projects leads to large scale displacement and loss of livelihood.

d) Multipurpose projects generate electricity for our industries and our homes.

Ans:
c) Multipurpose projects leads to large scale displacements and loss of livelihood.

iii) Here are some false statements. Identify the mistakes and rewrite them correctly.

a) Multiplying urban centres with large and dense population and urban lifestyles have helped in proper utilization of water resources.
Ans: Multiplying urban centres, with large and dense populations and urban lifestyles, have not only added to water and energy requirements but have further increased the problem.

b) Regulating and damming of rivers does not affect the river’s natural flow and its sediment flow.
Ans: Regulating and constructions of dams on the rivers affects their natural flow and its flow of sediments.

c) In Gujarat, the Sabarmati basin farmers were not agitated when higher priority was given to water supply in urban areas, particularly during droughts.
Ans: In Gujarat, the Sabarmati basin farmers were very angry and upset caused a riot because water supply was given in urban areas, particularly during droughts.

d) Today in Rajasthan, the practice of rooftop rainwater harvesting has gained popularity despite high water availability due to the Rajasthan Canal.
Ans: Today, in Rajasthan, sadly, the practice of rooftop rainwater harvesting is reducing because plenty of water is available due to the ever – flowing Rajasthan Canal.

II.   Answer the following questions in about 30 words:

1.  Explain how water becomes a renewable resource.
Ans:
Water is being renewed and recharged through the hydro-logical cycle. The interchange of the different states of water between the oceans, land and air is known as the hydro-logical cycle.
i) Water evaporates due to the heat of the sun.
ii) The water vapour in the air condenses into clouds.
iii) This condensed water vapour comes down as rain or snow and falls over the land.
iv) From the land, it makes its way back to the sea and the cycle begins again.

2.  What is water scarcity and what are its main causes?
Ans:
Water scarcity is a situation where there is insufficient water to satisfy our daily normal requirements (like drinking, cooking, washing, etc.)

3.  Causes of water scarcity .
Ans :

i) To much wastage of water.
ii) Excessive use of water.
iii) Unequal access to water.
iv) Large and growing population.

4.  Give the advantageous and Disadvantageous of multipurpose rivers projects.
Ans:

Advantageous of multipurpose river Projects :
i) Irrigation
ii) Electricity
iii) Water supply for domestic and industrial purposes
iv) Flood control
v) Recreation
vi) Inland navigation
vii) Fish breeding

Disadvantages of multipurpose river Projects :
i) Natural flow of the river gets affected causing poor sediments flow.
ii) There is a lot of sedimentation in the reservoir.
iii) Stream beds become full of rocks.
iv) A dam affects the natural flow of river. It makes it difficult for aquatic organisms to migrate.
v) Reservoir submerges the existing vegetation and soil. This leads to decomposition of vegetation.

5.  Discuss how rainwater harvesting in semi- arid region of Rajasthan is carried out.
Ans:
Harvesting of rainwater in semi- arid region of Rajasthan is carried out as follows:
i) Most of the houses have underground tanks or ‘tankas’ for storing drinking water.
ii) The tanks are connected to the sloping roofs of the houses through a pipe.
iii) Rain falling on the rooftops travel down the pipe and is stored in the underground ‘tankas’.
iv) The first rain is not collected as this would have a lot of dirt and dust due to the roofs and the pipes.

6.  Describe how modern adaptations of traditional rainwater harvesting methods are being carried out to conserve and store water.
Ans:
Rainwater harvesting is a way to capture the rainwater when it rains, store that water above the ground or charge the underground water and use it later.
A simple urban installation:
i) If you live in a single dwelling house or an apartment, we need to adjust the plumbing design.
ii) From the rooftops, bring the rainwater down using closed PVC pipes and direct it to a sump. With the help of simple three – part filtration.
iii) If we do not have a sump, we can use a dry well.
iv) If we do not have a well, construct a small well by yourself.