I.   Answer the following questions in one sentence each:

1.  What does rule of law mean?
Ans:
The rule of law means that all laws apply equally to all citizens of India .The law cannot discriminate between persons on the basis of their religion,caste or gender, and no one can be above the law.

2.  How was the colonial law according to the historians?
Ans:
The colonial law was arbitrary according to the historians.

3.  What was sedition Act of 1870?
Ans:
The idea of sedition Act 1870 was any person protesting or criticizing the British government could be arrested without due trial.

4.  Why did Indian nationalists begin protesting and criticizing British authorities?
Ans: Indian nationalists began protesting and criticizing this arbitrary use of authority by the British .They also began fighting for greater equality and wanted to change the idea of law from a set of rules that they were forced to obey to law as including ideas of justice.

5.  What is Hindu succession Amendment Act 2005?
Ans:
According to this new law,sons,daughters and their mothers can get an equal share of family property.

6.  What began with the adoption of constitution?
Ans:
With the adoption of the constitution, these documents served as the foundation on which our representatives began making laws for the country.Every year our representatives pass several new laws as well as revise existing ones.Similarly, new laws have been enacted to control pollution and provide employment.

7.  When there is pressure on the Parliament to change laws?
Ans:
When the citizen expresses their unwillingness to accept repressive laws framed by the Parliament or when the large number of people begin feel that a wrong law has been passed, then there is pressure on the Parliament to change the law.

8.  Who began making laws for India with the adoption of the constitution?
Ans:
Our representative began making laws for India with the adoption of the constitution.

II.   Answer the following questions in four sentences each:

1.  What is the importance of law?
Ans:
The importance of law are:
i)  The law cannot discriminate between persons on the basis of their religion,caste or gender.
ii)  The rule of law means is that all laws apply equally to all citizens of the country and none can be above the law.
iii)  Neither a government official, nor a wealthy person nor even the president of the country is above the law.
iv)  Any crime or violation of law has a specific punishment as well as a process through which the guilt of the person has to be established.

2.  How were the laws in ancient India?
Ans:

i)  In ancient India, there were innumerable and often overlapping local laws.
ii)  Different communities enjoyed different rights in administering these laws among themselves.
iii)  The punishment that two persons received for the same crime varied depending on their caste backgrounds,with lower castes being more harshly punished.

3.  What did the Indian legal profession demand by the end of the nineteenth century?
Ans:

i)  The Indian legal profession also began emerging and demanded respect in colonial courts.
ii)  They began to use law to defend the legal rights to Indians.
iii)  Indian judges also began to play a greater role in making decisions.

4.  What were the several ways in which the Indian Nationalists played a major role in the evolution of the rule of law during the colonial period?
Ans:

i)  The Indian Nationalists began protesting and criticizing the arbitrary use of authority by the British.
ii)  They also began fighting for greater equality and wanted to change the idea of law from a set of rules that they were forced to obey.
iii)  The Indian legal profession also began emerging and demanded respect in colonial courts
iv)  They began to use law to defend the legal rights of the Indians. Indian judges also began to play a greater role in making decisions.

5.  Why is it crucial in helping parliament to frame different concerns by the citizens?
Ans:

i)  The role of citizens is crucial in helping parliament frame different concerns that people might have into laws.
ii)  From establishing the need for a new law to its being passed, at every stage of the process the voice of the citizen is a crucial element.
iii)  This voice can be heard through T.V reports, newspaper editorials,  radio broad casts ,local meetings all of which help in making the work that parliament does more accessible and transparent to the people.

6.  How can the people criticize the law passed by the Parliament?
Ans:

i)  The people can hold public meetings.
ii)  They can write about it in the newspaper, they can also publish on T. V news channels, and so on.
iii)  The citizens can express their unwillingness to accept repressive laws framed by the parliament.

7.  What is the role of the citizen?
Ans:

i)  The role of the citizens does not end with the election of representatives .
ii)  We should use newspapers and the media to carefully chart the work that is being done by our MP’s, and criticize their actions when we feel it is required.
iii)  It is the involvement and enthusiasm of the people that helps parliament perform its representative function properly.