5.2   Text Questions :

Answer the following questions briefly :

1. What are the four major domains of the earth?
Ans:
The four major domains of the earth are Lithosphere, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and Biosphere.

2. Name the major continents of the earth.
Ans:
The major continents of the earth are Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica.

3. Name the two continents that lie entirely in the Southern Hemisphere
Ans:
Australia and Antarctica are the two continents that lie entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.

4. Name the different layers of atmosphere.
Ans:
Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere and Exosphere.

5. Why is the earth called the ‘blue planet’?
Ans:
The earth is called the ‘blue planet’ because more than 75% of the earth is covered with water.

6. Why is the Northern Hemisphere called the ‘Land Hemisphere’?
Ans:
The Northern Hemisphere is called the Land Hemisphere because the greater part of the landmass lies in the Northern Hemisphere.

7. Why is the Biosphere important for living organisms?
Ans: The Biosphere is important for living organisms because life exists here due to the presence of 3 major components (land, air and water) that is required for life to exist .

Tick the correct answers :

1. The mountain ranges that separates Europe from Asia is _________ .
i) The Andes                  ii) The Himalayas                    iii)  The Urals  √

2. The continents of North America is linked to South America by _________ .
i) Isthmus √                    ii) Strait                                       iii) Canal

3. The major constituents of atmosphere by percent is _________ .
i) Nitrogen √                  ii) Oxygen                                   iii) Carbon dioxide

4. The domain of the earth consisting of solid rocks is ________ .
i) The Atmosphere          ii) The Hydrosphere           iii) The Lithosphere √

5. Which is the largest continent?
i) Africa                          ii) Asia √                                iii) Australia

Answers :
1. The Urals           2. Isthmus              3. Nitrogen             4. The Lithosphere            5. Asia

Fill in the blanks :

1.  The deepest point on the earth is_______.

2.  The __________ocean is named after a country.

3.  The _________ is a narrow contact zone of land, water and air that supports life.

4.  The continents of Europe and Asia together are known as ________.

5.  The highest mountain peak on the earth is _____________.

Answers :
1.  Mariana Trench           2.  Indian              3.  Biosphere              4.  Eurasia                 5.  Everest

Map Skills        (MAP OF INDIA)

1.  On the outline map of the world, mark the following :

Europe, Asia, Antarctica, South America, Australia, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Ural Mountains and Isthmus of panama.