Answer the following questions :
1. What is internal process and external process?
a) The first, or the internal process leads to the upliftment and sinking of the earth’s surface at several places.
b) The second, or the external process is the continuous wearing down and rebuilding of the land surface.
2. Many mining areas of the world are located in the plateau areas. Why?
Ans: Plateaus are very useful because they are rich in mineral deposits. As a result, many of the mining areas in the world are located in the plateau areas.
3. Give 5 reasons why plateaus are helpful to us?
Ans: The plateaus are helpful to us because of
i) They are rich in minerals deposits.
ii) The African plateaus is famous for gold and diamond mining.
iii) In India huge reserves of iron, coal and manganese are found in Chhota Nagpur plateau.
iv) The lava plateaus are rich in black soil that are fertile and good for cultivation.
v) Many plateaus have scenic spot and are of great attraction for tourists.
Map Skills (MAP OF INDIA)
1. On an outline map of the world, mark the following:
Mountain ranges: Himalayas, Rockies and Andes.
1) Plateau Tibet.
4. What activities do you see, and name the landforms on which these activities are carried out.
a. Why are only these landforms suitable for the above activities.
Ans: The different landforms present in Goa are mountains, plateaus and plains.
i) In Goa, mountains provide an idyllic site for tourists. They visit the mountains for their scenic beauty. Several sports like paragliding, hang gliding, river rafting and skiing are popular in the mountains.
ii) Plateaus in Goa are useful as they are rich in mineral deposits. Plateau have scenic spots and are of great attraction for tourists.
iii) Plains in Goa are the most useful areas for human habitation. There is a great concentration of people as more flat land available for building houses as well as for cultivation.
Define the following:
1. Erosion : The wearing away of the earth’s surface is called as erosion.
2. Mountains : A mountain is any natural elevation of the earth surface.
3. Glaciers : Permanently frozen rivers of ice in the mountains are called glaciers.
4. Range : Mountains arranged in a line is known as range.
5. Horsts : The uplifted blocks are termed as horsts.
6. Graben : The lowered blocks are termed as graben.
7. Flora : All the plants growing in a particular area.
8. Fauna : All the animals of an area or a period of time.
9. Volcanic activity : An opening in the earth’s crust from which lava, ash and hot gases flow or are thrown out during an eruption.
10. Plateau : A plateau is an elevated flat land. It is a flat topped table land standing above the surrounding area.
11. Plains : Plains are large stretches of flat land.