Weather:  Activity 7.1 –  (Do the given activity and complete the table)

Weather data of a week

Date Max Temp (C) Min Temp (C) Min humidity (%) Max humidity (%) Rainfall (mm)

09/07/2020 27.8o C 25.5o C 93% 36.4 mm
10/07/2020 28o C 24.3 o C 93% 54.3 mm
11/07/2020 31.2o C 25.6o C 94% 59.8 mm
12/07/2020 30.1o C 24.1o C 86% 76.9 mm
13/07/2020 28.0o C 24.5o C 87% 48.0 mm
14/07/2020 27.0o C 23.4o C 100% 45.0 mm
15/07/2020 27.5o C 23.8o C 98% 65.3 mm
16/07/2020 27.5o C 23.8o C 99% 31.2 mm

Q1.   I wonder why weather changes so frequently?
Ans:
  This is because the factors like temperature, humidity, rainfall etc affect the  weather and so it changes frequently.

Q2.   What is the source of weather in the first place?
Ans: 
The sun is the source of weather

7.3  Climate and adaptation :   (The Polar region)

Q1.   Do fishes and butterflies also migrate like birds?
Ans: 
Yes, Fishes and butterflies also migrate like birds in search of more hospitable climates.

TEXT EXERCISES :

1.  Name the elements that determine the weather of a place.
Ans: 
The elements that determine in the weather of a place are temperature, humidity, wind-speed, rainfall etc.

2.  When are the maximum and minimum temperature likely to occur during the day?
Ans:
  The maximum temperature generally occurs in the afternoon and the minimum temperature occurs in the early morning.

3.  Fill in the blanks:

i)  The average weather taken over a long time is called _____________.

ii)  A place receives very little rainfall and the temperature is high throughout the year, the climate of that place will be ______ and ______.

iii)  The two region of the earth with extreme climatic conditions are _______ and ________.

Ans:
i) climate               ii) hot, humid                        iii) polar, tropical  .

4.  Indicate the type of climate of the following areas:

a) Jammu and Kashmir : Cold and wet .

b) Kerala : Hot and wet .

c) Rajasthan : Hot and dry .

d) North-East India : Wet .

5.  Which of the two changes frequently, weather or climate?
Ans:
 The weather of a place changes frequently on a day-to-day basis.

6.  Following are some of the characteristics of animals. For each characteristic indicate whether it is adaptation for tropical rain forests or polar region. Do you think that some of these characteristics can be adapted for both regions?

i) Diet is heavy or fruits                      – Tropical

ii) White fur                                            – Polar

iii) Need to migrate                              – Polar and Tropical

iv) Loud voice                                         – Polar and Tropical

v) Sticky pads on feet                           – Polar

vi) Layer of fat under the skin          –Polar

vii) Wide and large paws                    – Polar

viii) Bright colours                               – Tropical

ix) Strong tails                                        – Tropical

x) Long and large beak                        – Tropical

The tropical rainforest has a large population of animals. Explain why it is so?
Ans: 
The tropical rainforest has continuous warmth and rain which makes the climatic condition very suitable for supporting a large population of animals.

8.  Explain, with examples, why we find animals of certain kind living in particular climatic condition.
Ans:
  Animals have adapted themselves to the extreme climatic condition that they have to live in for e.g polar bears living in polar region have white fur to protect themselves from predators and catch their prey. It also has a two thick layers of fur and layer of fat under their skin which keeps them well insulated. On warm days it goes for swimming. It has wide and large paws which helps to swim as well as walk on snow.
Penguin is another animal adapted to polar region. It is also white and has a thick skin and lot of fat to protect it from cold.

9.  How do elephants living in the tropical rainforest adapt themselves?
Ans: 
Elephants have adapted themselves in remarkable ways. It uses its trunk as a nose because of which it has a strong sense of smell and also for picking up food. Its tusks are modified teeth which can tear the bark of trees. Its large ears help it to hear very soft sounds and also to keep them cool in hot and humid climate of rainforest.

Choose the correct option which answers the following questions:

10.  A carnivore with stripes on its body moves very fast while catching it prey. It is likely to be found in.

i) polar regions                                   ii) deserts
iii) oceans                                            iv) tropical rainforest

11.  Which features adapt polar bears to live in extremely cold climate?

i) A white fur, fat below skin, keen sense of smell.             ii) Thin skin, large eyes, a white fur.
iii) A long tail, strong claws, white large paws                    iv) White body, paws for swimming, gills for respiration.

12.  Which option best describes a tropical region?

i) Hot and humid                                              ii) moderate temperature, heavy rainfall
iii) Cold and humid                                          iv) Hot and dry .

Ans:
10.  (iv)               11.  (i)                   12.  (i)  .