- When did Evelyn’s mother notice something was wrong with her?
Ans. Evelyn’s mother noticed something was wrong with her when eight years old Evelyn was waiting to play the piano and they called her name and she didn’t move.
- What was the advice given to her by the specialist?
Ans. They were advised that Evelyn should be fitted with hearing aids and sent to a school for that deaf.
- “Everything suddenly looked black” Why did Evelyn feel this way?
Ans. When Evelyn was advised to use hearing aids and join a school for the deaf, she felt that her future was dark. She was depressed thinking she would not be able to lead a normal life.
- How did Evelyn’s teacher respond when she expressed her desire to play xylophone?
Ans. When Evelyn noticed a girl playing xylophone and expressed her desire to play the xylophone, most of the teachers discouraged her. They felt she would not be able to play because of her impaired hearing.
- What kind of recognition did Evelyn get at the Royal Academy of Music?
Ans. At the Royal Academy of Music Evelyn scored the highest marks in the history of the academy. At the end of her three year course she won most of the top awards.
Complete the following sentences
- Evelyn was determined to lead a normal life and pursue her interest in music.
- If you work hard and know where you are going, you’ll get there.
- It is intriguing to watch Evelyn function so effortlessly without hearing.
- God must have taken her hearing but he has given back her something extraordinary.