1.2 Text Questions :
Answer the following questions :
1. Describe the circumstances leading to the outbreak of revolutionary protest in France?
Ans: The outbreak of the French revolution took place due to culmination of social, political, intellectual and economic factors:
-The Bourbon king of France, Louis XVI was an extremely autocratic and weak willed king who led a very luxurious life. This led to a lot of discontent among the people as they were leading a life of extreme poverty and hunger.
-The social conditions in France in late 18th century were extremely unequal and exploitative. The clergy and nobility formed the first two estates and were considered as the most privileged class in the French society.
-As a result of the numerous wars waged by Louis XVI, the state coffers were empty. The situation was made even more complex by France’s involvement in the American war of independence and the faulty system of taxation.
2. Which groups of French society benefited from the revolution?
Ans: The middle class or the richer members of the third estate consisting of merchants, traders, lawyers and rich peasants benefited the most from the revolution .
3. Describe the legacy of the French revolution for the people of the worlds during the 19th and 20th century.
i) It gave rise to the social and political changes that took place in the other parts of Europe.
ii) It abolished the monarchy rule and the dictatorships of Monarch.
4. Draw up list of democratic rights we enjoy today whose origins could be traced to the French revolution?
i) Right to Equality .
ii) Right to Vote .
iii) Right against Exploitation.
5. How would you explain the rise of Napoleon?
Ans: After the French revolution, France became a republic. The Jacobin’s introduced some changes. The fall of Jacobin’s government allowed the wealthier middle class to seize power. Directors often clashed with legislative councils and the latter sought to dismiss them. Political instability of the directory made the way for the rise of military dictator Napoleon Bonaparte.