Multiple choice questions :
1. ______ was as the most powerful Mughal ruler.
(a) Aurangzeb (b) Babar (c) Humayun. (d) Akbar
2. ________ could no longer function as an effective centre.
(a) Delhi (b) Mumbai (c) Kolkata. (d) Chennai
3. _______ a Portuguese explorer who discovered the sea route to India.
(a) Lord Dalhousie (b) Vasco-da-Gama (c) Warren Hastings (d) Louis XVI
4. In early seventeenth century _____ were exploring the possibilities of trade in Indian ocean.
(a) Dutch (b) French (c) British (d) Europeans
5. The first English factory was set up on the banks of the river ________ .
(a) Ganga (b) Hugli (c) Godavari (d) Krishna
6. The conflicts led to confrontations and finally culminated to the famous _______ .
(a) Battle of Plassey (b) Battle of Wandiwash (c) Battle of Jhansi. (d) Battle of Panipat
7. The powerful regional kingdom had emerged in various parts of_______ .
(a) Britain (b) India (c) South Africa. (d) France
8. The British originally came to India as ____________ .
(a) Workers (b) Labourers (c) Traders. (d) Farmers
9. The East India company was established in _________ .
(a) 1540 (b) 1580 (c) 1600. (d) 1645
10. Mir Jafar died in ______ .
(a) 1765 (b) 1580 (c) 1540. (d) 1654
11. Tipu sultan is known as of Mysore_________ .
(a) Tiger (b) Lion (c) Cheetah. (d) Leopard
12. _______ in small state of Kitoor took to arms and led an anti-British resistance movement.
(a) Rayanna (b) Rani Chinnamma (c) Nana Phadnis. (d) Rani of Jhansi
13. Punjab was annexed on ________ .
(a) 1849 (b) 1829 (c) 1830. (d) 1841
14. Punjab was annexed after the death of _______ .
(a) Maharaja Ranjit Singh (b) Mahadji Sinha (c) Maharana Pratap Singh. (d) Dr Guillotine
15. Lord Dalhousie devised a policy named ______ .
(a) Policy of Paramountcy (b) Doctrine of Lapse (c) Subsidiary Alliance. (d) Social Contract
16. British presidencies were ruled by a ________ .
(a) Governor (b) President (c) Nawabs. (d) Prime Minister
17. According to new administration supreme head of administration was ______ .
(a) Governor General (b) President (c) Collectors (d) Prime Minister
18. ______ was the first governor general who introduced several administrative reforms.
(a) Warren Hastings (b) Lord Dalhousie (c) Richard Wellesley. (d) Dr Guillotine
19. ______ translated digest of Hindu laws into English.
(a) N.B.Halhed (b) Warren Hastings (c) Haider Ali (d) Ranjit Singh
20. Who was the principal figure in an Indian district?
(a) Collector (b) Secretary (c) President.
21. _____ rule brought in some new idea of administration and reform in India.
(a) Colonial (b) British Raj (c) Mughal Emperor.
22. The East India Company began recruitment for its own army which was known as ____ .
(a) Sepoy Army (b) Sawars (c) Paidal Soldiers.
23. _____ reduced the journey time enabling more Britishers and their families to come to far off country like India.
(a) Steamships (b) Railways (c) Ships. (d) Aeroplanes
24. The East India Company acquired a charter from Queen _______ .
(a) Elizabeth (b) Elizabeth I (c) Elizabeth II. (d) Elizabeth III
25. The Portuguese had established their base in _______ .
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) Maharashtra (c) Goa (d) Kerala
1. (a) 2. (a) 3. (b) 4. (a) 5. (b) 6. (a) 7. (b) 8. (c) 9. (c) 10. (a)
11. (a) 12. (b) 13. (a) 14. (a) 15. (b) 16. (a) 17. (a) 18. (a) 19. (a) 20. (a)
21. (a) 22. (a) 23. (a) 24. (b) 25. (c) .