Answer the following questions briefly :
1. Name the major physical division of India .
Ans: The major physical division of India are :
1) The Himalayas
2) The Northern Indians plains.
The Great Indian desert are :
1) The Peninsular plateau.
2) The Coastal plains.
3) The Two groups of Islands.
2. India shares its land boundaries with seven countries. Name them.
Ans: Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, China, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan.
3. Which two major rivers fall into the Arabian sea?
Ans: The river Narmada and Tapi fall into the Arabian sea.
4. Name the delta formed by the Ganga and the Brahmaputra.
Ans: The Sundarbans delta.
5. How many states and union territories are there in India? Which states have a common capital?
Ans: There are 28 states and 7 union territories in India. Punjab and Haryana have a common capital. i.e. Chandigarh .
6. Why do a large number of people live in the Northern plains?
Ans: The Northern plains are generally flat and level land, having alluvial deposits laid down by the rivers such as the Indus, the Ganga, the Brahmaputra and their tributaries. These river plains provide fertile land for cultivation. Hence, a large population prefer to live here.
7. Why is Lakshadweep known as a coral island?
Ans: Lakshadweep islands are called as the coral islands because they have been formed from corals. Corals are formed from the skeletons of tiny marine animals called polyps.
Tick the correct Answers:
1. The southern most Himalayas are known as ________ .
a. Shiwaliks √ b. Himadri c. Himachal
2. Sahyadri is also known as _________ .
a. Aravalli b. Western ghats √ c. Himadri
3. The Palk Strait lies between the countries ________ .
a. Sri Lanka and Maldives. b. India and Sri Lanka √ c. India and Maldives
4. The Indian islands in the Arabian sea are known as _________ .
a. Andaman and Nicobar Island b. Lakshadweep Islands √ c. Maldives
5. The oldest mountain range in India is the _________ .
a. Aravalli mountains √ b. Western ghats c. Himalayas
1. Shiwaliks 2. Western ghats 3. India and Sri Lanka 4. Lakshadweep 5. Aravalli mountains .
Fill in the blanks:
1. India has an area of about _____________ .
2. The greater Himalayas are also known as __________ .
3. The largest state in India in terms of area is_____________ .
4. The river Narmada falls into the ___________ .
5. The latitude that runs almost halfway through India is ___________ .
1. 28 million sq .km 2. Himadri 3. Rajasthan 4. The Arabian sea 5. Tropic of Cancer .