7.2 Text Questions :
Answer the following questions briefly :
(i) What are the four means of transport ?
Ans : The four means of transport are:- roadways, railways, waterways and airways.
(ii) What do you understand by the term ‘settlements’?
Ans: The term ‘settlement’ refers to a place where people build their homes to live in.
(iii) Which are the activities practiced by the rural people?
Ans: The activities practiced by the rural people are farming , fishing, forestry, trading , craft-work , etc.
(iv) Mention any two merits of railways.
Ans: Two merits of railways are they carry people over long distances quickly and cheaply. They carry heavy goods in bulk.
(v) What do you understand by communication?
Ans: Communication is a process by which we convey our messages to others.
(vi) What is mass media?
Ans: Newspapers, radio and television are called mass media because we can communicate with a large number of people through them.
Tick the correct answer :
1. Which is NOT a means of communication?
(a) Telephone (b) Books (c) Table √
2. Which type of road is constructed under the ground?
(a) Fly over (b) Expressways (c) Subways √
3. Which mode of transport is most suitable to reach an island?
(a) Ship √ (b) Train (c) Car
4. Which vehicle does not pollute the environment?
(a) Cycle √ (b) Bus (c) Airplane .
Match the following :
1) Internet (a) areas where people are engaged in manufacture , trade and services.
2) Canal route (b) closely built area of houses.
3) Urban areas (c) inland waterway.
4) Compact settlement (d) a means of communication.
1) Internet (d) a means of communication.
2) Canal route (c) inland waterways.
3) Urban areas (a) areas where people are engaged in manufacture, trade and services.
4) Compact settlement (b) closely built area of houses.
1) Today’s world is shrinking.
Ans: With the advance in communication and information technology the world has contracted, we can get the news of a far off land just with a blink of our eyes. Even the moon is not far from us now. Television has brought a revolution in communication. The satellites have made them even faster. Wireless telephonic communications through cellular phones have become more popular today. The use of internet has made everything available in our plates. So it is correct to say that the world is shrinking.
FOR FUN :
1) Conduct a survey in your locality and find out how people commute to their
respective workplaces using :
a. More than two modes of transport.
b. More than three modes of transport.
c. Stay within walking distance.
a. By metro and auto rickshaw.
b. By bus, metro and auto rickshaw.
c. On foot.
2) Mention which mode of communication you will prefer in most of the following situations:
i) Your grandfather has suddenly fallen ill. How will you inform the doctor?
Ans: I shall inform the doctor by telephone.
ii) Your mother wants to sell the old house. How will she spread the news?
Ans: She will advertise this news through newspapers.
iii) You are going to attend the marriage of your cousin for which you will be absent from the school for the next two days. How will you inform the teacher ?
Ans: I shall send a leave application letter to my teacher through my friend.
iv) Your friend has moved out with his / her family to New York. How will you keep in touch on a daily basis?
Ans: I shall keep in touch with him through phone or internet.
Fill in the blanks:
1. Settlements which are occupied for a short time are called temporary .
2. Settlements grew near the river valleys because there was plenty of water available and the land was fertile.
3. People who rear animals move from place to place in search of new pastures .
4. Scattered settlements are found in thick forests and regions of extreme climate.
5. Houses in rural areas are built with materials like stones and mud.
6. In plains we find a dense network of roads.
7. The steam engine has been replaced by diesel and electric .
8. Air travel is very expensive because of the heavy cost of fuel.
9. The two important ports of the world are Singapore and Rio .
10. A compact settlement is a closely built area of dwellings.