Answer the following questions briefly :
1. Which winds bring rainfall in India? Why is it so important?
Ans: The monsoon winds bring rainfall in India. It is important because agriculture in India is dependent on the rainfall. Good monsoon means adequate rain and a bountiful crop.
2. Name the different seasons in India.
Ans: The different seasons in India are :
i) Cold weather season (winter) .
ii) Hot weather season (summer) .
iii) South west monsoon season (rainy) .
iv) Season of retreating monsoons (autumn) .
3. What is natural vegetation?
Ans: The grasses, shrubs and trees which grow on their own without interference or help from human beings are called natural vegetation.
4. Name the different types of vegetation found in India.
Ans: The different types of vegetation found in India are:
i) Tropical rain forests or evergreen forests.
ii) Tropical deciduous forests.
iii) Thorny bushes.
iv) Mountain vegetation.
v) Mangrove forests.
5. What is the difference between Evergreen forest and deciduous forest?
Ans: Evergreen forest Deciduous forest
a. Tropical rain forest occur in a) These forests are also
the areas which receive heavy called monsoon forests.
b. The trees of these forests shed b) The trees of these forests
their leaves at different times shed their leaves at a particular time of a year.
c. These are very dense c) These are less dense.
d. Trees found are rosewood, d) Trees found are peepal ,
ebony and mahogany. neem, sal and teak.
6. Why is tropical rain-forest also called Evergreen forest?
Ans: The tropical rain-forest is also called as evergreen forest because many species of trees shed their leaves at different times of the year.
Tick the correct answers :
1. The world’s highest rainfall occurs in _________ .
a. Mumbai b. Asansol c. Mawsynram √
2. Mangrove forests can thrive in _________ .
a. Saline water √ b. Fresh water c. Polluted water
3. Mahogany and rosewood trees are found in _______ .
a. Mangrove forests b. Tropical deciduous forests c. Tropical evergreen forest √
4. Wild goats and snow leopards are found in ________ .
a. Himalayan region √ b. Peninsular region c. Gir forests
5. During the south- west monsoon period, the moisture laden winds blow from ______ .
a. Land to sea b. Sea to land √ c. Plateau to plains
1. Mawsynram 2. Saline water 3. Tropical evergreen forests 4. Himalayan region 5. Sea to land .
Fill in the blanks :
1. Hot and dry winds known as ___________ blow during the day in the summers.
2. The states of Andra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu receive a great amount of rainfall during the season of ___________.
3. ________ forest in Gujarat is the home of ___________ .
4. __________ is a well- known species of mangrove forests.
5. ________ are also called monsoon forests.
1. Loo 2. Retreating monsoon 3. Gir, Asiatic lions 4. Sundari 5. Tropical deciduous forests.