1. What were the function of assemblies in Southern kingdom.
Ans : The function of the assemblies in Southern Kingdom was to look after irrigation, agricultural operations making roads, local temples etc.
2. Name the four different kinds of rulers described by Samudragupta’s court poet,Harishena.
Ans : The four different kinds of rulers described by Samudragupta court poet were
(1) The rulers of Aryavarta
(2) The ruler of Dakshinapatha
(3) The inner circle of neighbouring states.
(4) The rulers of the outlying areas.
3. Pulakeshin II was the best known Chalukya ruler. Explain.
Ans : We come to know about Pulakeshin II from a prashasti , composed by his court poet Ravikirti, According to this prashasti Pulakeshin got the kingdom from his uncle.He led expedition along both the west and the east coasts.Besides, he checked the advance of Harshvardhana when he tried to cross the Narmada to March into the Deccan.The prashati also tells us that Pulakeshin also attacked the Pallava king, who took shelter behind the walls of Kanchipuram.
4. How do we know the lives of ordinary people during this period.
Ans : We come to know about the lives of ordinary people from plays like Kalidasa Abhijnana Shakuntalam and accounts left by Chinese pilgrims like Fa Xian.
5. Who was Fa Xian and what did he notice during his visit to India.
Ans : Fa Xian was a Chinese pilgrim. He noticed the plight of those who were treated as untouchables by the high and mighty.
Fill in the blanks :
(1) Samudragupta ruler was described as equal as Gods.
(2) Harsha Charita is written in Sanskrit language.
(3) The best known Chalukya ruler was Pulakeshin II.
(4) Leader of the merchant caravans was called as Sarthavaha.
(5) Sabha was an assembly of brahmin land owners.
Tick the correct answer :
(1) Harsha’s brother in law was the ruler of ___________.
(1) Prayaga (3) Patliputra
(2) Ujjain (4) Kanauj √
(2) Kumara Devi, the mother of Samudragupta belonged to the ________.
(1) Lichchhavi √ (3) prashastis
(2) Narmada (4) Raichur
(3) Harshavardhana never got success in the ____________.
(1) west (3) north
(2) east √ (4) south
(4) ___________ was the capital of the Pallavas.
(1) Magadha (3) Kanchipuram √
(2) Bengal (4) Thanesar
(5) We came to know about Harshavardhana from _____________.
(1) The biography written by Banabhatta (2) The account of Xuan Zang
(3) Both (1) and (2) √ (4) Niether (1) nor (2)
Define the following :
(1) Prashasti – Prashasti is a Sanskrit word, means’in praise of’.
(2) Genealogies – Genealogies is a list of ancestors.
(3) Prathama- Kulika – It was the chief craftsman.
(4) Sandhi – Vigrahika – Minister of war and peace.
(5) Sarbhavaha – The term Sarbhavaha is used for the leader of the merchant caravans.
(6) Ur. – Ur was a village assembly where land owners were not brahmins.
(7) Nagaram – Nagaram was an organisation of merchants.These assemblies were controlled by rich and powerful landowners and merchants.
(8) Kumar- amatya – Kumar-amatya means an important minister.
(9) Banabhatta – Banabhatta was the court poet of king Harshvardhana. He wrote Harshcharita, a biography Harshavardhana.