- Who was Sanjeev and how did Sanjeev sacrifice his life.
Ans. Sanjeev was a policeman, serving in the Katchall Island of the Nicobar group of islands. Sanjeev had managed to save himself, his wife and his baby daughter from the waves. But then he heard the cries for help from wife of John, the guesthouse cook. He jumped into the water to rescue her but both of them were swept away. So Sanjeev sacrificed his life in as attempt to save someone else.
- What did Alma’s father do when he felt the earthquake.
Ans. When Alma’s father saw the water recede and would come rushing back with great force, he woke up every one and tried to rush them to a safer place.
- How did the animals behave before the giant waves slammed the coast in India and Sri Lanka.
Ans. The animals fled to safety. Elephants screamed and ran for higher places, dogs refused to go outdoors, flamingoes abandoned their low lying breeding areas and zoo animals rushed into their shelters.
- What is the Yala National Park in Sri Lanka.
Ans. The Yala National Park in Sri Lanka is a home for a variety of animals like elephants, leopards and 130 species of birds.
Complete the following sentences:
- Meghna was brought to the shore by a wave, and was found walking on the seashore in daze.
- Almas does not want to talk about the incident as she is still traumatized.
- If they had stayed on the beach, they would not have been alive.
- Tilly went back to her school in England and told her classmates her terrifying tale.
- Her geography teacher had shown her class the video, and told them that tsunamis can be caused by earthquakes, landslides and volcanoes.