ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
1. What was the desire of Nelson Mandela ?
Ans: Nelson Mandela desired freedom for his people, freedom from poverty, suffering and discrimination.
2. What ceremonies took place in the lovely sandstone amphitheatre formed by the Union Buildings ?
Ans: The inauguration ceremony or the installation of the non-racial government.
3. What are the oaths taken by Nelson Mandela ?
Ans: Nelson Mandela pledged to obey and uphold the constitution and to devote himself to the well-being of the Republic and its people.
4. Why did the inauguration ceremony take place in the amphitheatre formed by the Union Buildings ?
Ans: For decades this had been the seat of white supremacy. Black people were never allowed in that area. Since now they were celebrating the freedom of equality the ceremony took place in the amphitheatre.
5. When did Mandela learn that courage is not the absence of fear ?
Ans: Mandela learnt that courage is not the absence of fear when he saw men and women risk and give their lives for and idea. He had also seen men stand up to attacks and torture without breaking.