1. Name the major nutrients in our food?
Ans: The major nutrients in our food are carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. In addition, food also contains dietary fibers and water.
2. Name the following:
a) The nutrients which mainly give energy to our body.
Ans: Carbohydrates .
b) The nutrients that are needed for the growth and maintenance of our body.
Ans: Proteins .
c) A vitamin required for maintaining good eyesight .
Ans: Vitamin A .
d) A mineral that is required for keeping our bones healthy .
Ans: Calcium .
3. Name two foods each rich in :
(a) Fats (b) Starch
Cheese, Nuts Corn, Potato
(c) Dietary Fibre (d) Proteins
Beans, Oranges Egg, Fish .
4. Tick ( √ ) the statements that are correct and tick (×) to the statement which are wrong .
1. By eating rice alone, we can fulfill nutritional requirements of our body (× )
2. Deficiency diseases can be prevented by eating a balanced diet (√ )
3. Balanced diet for the body should contain a variety of food items (√)
4. Meat only is sufficient to provide all nutrients to the body (×)
5. Fill in the blanks:
1. Rickets is caused by deficiency of Vitamin D.
2. Deficiency of Vitamin B1 causes a disease known as Beri-Beri.
3. Deficiency of Vitamin C causes a disease known an Scurvy .
4. Night blindness is caused due to deficiency of Vitamin A in our food.
Suggested Projects and Activities:
1. Prepare a diet chart to provide balanced diet to a twelve year old child. The diet chart should include food items which are not expensive and are commonly available in your area.
Ans: A balanced diet chart for a twelve year old child as follows:
Breakfast i) wheat bread with jam/ peanut butter with one cup of milk.
ii) Idli with coconut chutney and one cup of milk .
iii) Ragi steamed cake with coconut and banana .
Morning snacks i) Digestive Biscuits .
ii) Fruits like apple/orange/grapes .
iii) Vegetable sandwich .
Lunch i) Rice/ Chapati with any vegetable/fish/meat or Spinach with a veg. or non-veg soup and salad.
Evening snack i) A glass of fresh juice (fruit) .
ii) Boiled eggs .
iii) Cup of milk/ Butter milk .
iv) Dry fruits .
Dinner i) Idli/Dosa/ Chapati with dal/ Fish curry / Chicken curry .
[ Most important drink 1.5 litres of water everyday ].
2. We have learnt that excess intake of fats is harmful for the body. What about other nutrients? Would it be harmful for the body to take too much of proteins or vitamins in the diet? Read about diet related problems to find answers to these questions and have a class discussion on this topic.
Ans: Some side effects cause due to too much intake of Vitamins and Protein :
|Vitamin B1||Excessive thirst|
|Vitamin C||Kidney stones|
|Vitamin D||Poor appetite|
|Protein||Poor bone health|