1. In what way is Pambupatti different from any other villages?
Ans:- While the people in other villages clashed with one another, the people of Pambupatti lived in peace. They did not fight in the name of religion or language. So the village of Pambupatti was different from other villages.
2. Why is Prem determined not to return to his village?
Ans:- Prem had left his village when the people had gone mad. They set the houses on fire and killed one another. So he is determined not to return to his village.
3. Why did Makara dislike tortoises, snakes and lizards? Write a line about each.
Ans:- Makara disliked tortoises because they were slow and stupid. They even carried their houses on their backs. He disliked snakes because they were slimy and they made funny noises. Makara hated lizards because they were undependable because they changed colour.
4. What went wrong when the tortoises, snakes and lizards left the forest?
Ans:- The forest got filled with foul smell of rottin fruits and fishes in the absence of tortoises. Rats multiplied in the absence of snakes and without lizards there were millions of insects in the forests.
5. Why do you think Prem wants to tell the story of the reptiles to the people of his village?
Ans:- The people of Prem’s village were behaving madly. They fought with one another in the name of religion. The story of Pambupatti gave the message of peace and coexistence . It underlined the importance of living together . So Prem wanted to carry that message to his own village.
6. Do you agree that it is difficult not to go along with someone who is very strong and powerful? Express your views frankly and clearly.
Ans:- The common people are peace loving and weak. They live in constant fear of the strong and the powerful. To be on the safe side, they go along with the strong. But when things go to the extreme, the people also go against the strong. They take up arms and fight the enemy successfully.
7. If you were a baby crocodile, would you tell Makara that he was wrong? What would you say to convince him?
Ans:- I would tell the strong that the world is a common property of all living creatures. As a strong man , it is his duty to protect the weak and not to trouble them. The earth does not belong to one, it belongs to all living creatures. All are dependent on each other. Together they should make the earth worth living.