1. What was Vijay Singh’s weakness? Which awkward situation did it push him into?
Ans – Vijay Singh was a wrestler. He was proud of his physical strength. His chief weakness was that he was boastful. He wanted to meet a ghost and teach him a lesson. His weakness pushed him into a difficult situation. He was told to go to the Haunted Deserts to meet the ghost. He could not say ‘no’ to the suggestion.
2. Was the old woman’s gift to Vijay Singh eccentric? Why?
Ans:- .The old woman was known to be eccentric or whimsical. She put a small packet into Vijay Singh’s hand . It contained a lump of salt and an egg. It was not an eccentric act. Both the gifts proves very useful in his fight against the ghost.
3. Why did Vijay Singh ask the ghost disguised as Natwar to come closer?
Ans:-Vijay Singh asked the ghost in the guise of Natwar to come closer. Like all good wrestlers , he wanted to size up his enemy ghost.
4. What made the ghost speechless? Why?
Ans:- Vijay Singh tried to sound brave. He looked at Natwar’s face. He declared that Natwar was a plain lying ghost. The ghost felt insulted, shocked and speechless.
5. Why did Vijay Singh say “Appearances are deceptive”?
Ans: – The ghost first tried to demoralize Vijay Singh. He said that Vijay Singh was no match to him. At this Vijay Singh also tried to frighten the ghost. He agreed to demonstrate his strength.
1. How did Vijay Singh use the egg? How did he use the lump of salt?
Ans:- Vijay Singh challenged the ghost to squeeze a rock, the ghost tried to squeeze the rock but failed. Taking advantage of the darkness. Vijay Singh took out the egg from his pocket. He took the rock and the egg , he pressed the egg and claimed victory. Next he gave the ghost the stone and asked him to crush it. But the ghost could not crush the rock. Vijay Singh took the lump of salt from his pocket and crushed it. This time too he won. By using the egg and the lump of salt he successfully outwitted the ghost.
2. Why did Vijay Singh conclude that the ghost would not be a worthy opponent to him? Was he fair in his judgement?
Ans:- Vijay Singh claimed victory over the ghost dishonestly. He gave the ghost a a piece of rock on both the occasions.The ghost failed to crush them or squeeze them. But Vijay Singh made use of the salt and the egg successfully. In this way he proved that the ghost was a weakling in an unfair manner.
3. Why did Vijay Singh ask the ghost to accompany him to town the next day?
Ans:- Vijay Singh wanted to take the ghost to his town to impress his people. He wanted to present the ghost there as his prisoner.
4. What made the ghost believe that Vijay Singh was dead?
Ans Vijay Singh saw through the ghost’s plan. He got out of the bed and put a round bolster in his place. The ghost struck the bolster hard with his mace or heavy stick. Since he didn’t hear any groans he concluded that Vijay Singh was dead.
5. Vijay Singh complained of insects in the cave. What was he referring to, and why?
Ans:- Vijay Singh complained of insects in the cave. He was in fact, referring to the ghost. He compared the ghost to a hateful and weakling insect.
6. Was it really a ghost who Vijay Singh be fooled? Who do you think it was?
Ans:- No one can see a ghost in human form . The trial of strength between Vijay Singh and the ghost cannot be true. . A ghost cannot collect wealth and it cannot run due to fear . The ghost in the story was a dacoit who used to rob the rich and kill them.