- Given below are some emotions Kezia felt. Match the emotions in Column A with the items in Column B
Ans. A B
- fear or terror iii) father comes homes
iv) speaking to father
v) going to bed alone at home
vii) father stretched out on the sofa snoring
- a glad sense of relief i) father comes into her room to give her a Goodbye
ii) noise of the carriage grows fainter.
- a “funny” feeling, perhaps vi) father comforts her and falls asleep
II) Answer the following questions in one or two sentences:
- Why was Kezia afraid of her father?
Ans. Kezia was afraid of her father because he was very strict. He used to talk to her harshly.
- Who were the people in Kezia’s family?
Ans. The people in Kezia’s family were her mother, father and grandfather.
- What was Kezia’s father’s routine
i) before going to his office?
ii) after coming back from his office?
iii) on Sundays?
Ans. i) Before going to his office, Kezia’s father went into her room to give her a casual kiss.
ii) After coming back from his office, he would ask for newspaper and tea.
iii) On Sundays, he would stretch out on the sofa. He would cover his face with his handkerchief put his feet on one of the cushions, sleep soundly and snore.
- In what ways did Kezia’s grandmother encourage her to get to know her father better?
Ans. Kezia’s grandmother encouraged her to get to know her father better by sending her to the drawing room to talk to her parents on Sundays. She also suggested Kezia to make a gift of a pin – cushion on her father’s birthday.
III. Discuss these question class with your teacher and then write down your answers in two or three paragraphs each.
1. Kezia’s efforts to please her father resulted in displeasing him very much. How did this happen?
Ans. Kezia’a efforts to please her father resulted in displeasing him. On every Sunday, she would come down to have a nice talk with her father and mother. But her father always got irritated with her. When she made a gift of a pin – cushion on her father’s birthday, she stuffed with papers by tearing the sheets of her father’s speech for the Port Authority. He scolded her and punished her by hitting her palm with a ruler.
- Kezia decided that there are “different kinds of father”. What kind of father was Mr Macdonald, and how was he different from Kezia’s father?
Ans. Mr Macdonald was a loving father. He would play ‘tag’ with his children. He would put the baby Mao on his shoulders. Two girls would hang on to his pockets. He would run around the flower beds laughing. He was very nice and friendly with his children. He never punished his children. He was just opposite to Kezia’s father, who never played with her, was harsh and looked angry.
- How does Kezia begin to see her father as a human being who needs sympathy?
Ans. One day, Kezia’s mother became ill and she and her grandmother went to hospital. Kezia was left with Alice, the cook. At night, when Alice put her to bed, she had a nightmare. She saw a butcher with a knife and rope. She could not move but cried out. Her father than came into her in his arms and made her sleep by his side. She felt comfortable and she slept. But she realized that her father had to work hard every day so he couldn’t play with her like Mr. Macdonald. She saw him sleeping because of tiredness.