1.2 Text Questions :
Answer the following questions briefly:
1. What is the true shape of the earth ?
Ans: The earth is not a sphere. It slightly flattened at the north and south poles and bulging in the middle .
2. What is a globe ?
Ans: A globe is a true model miniature form of the earth.
3. What is the latitudinal value of the Tropic of Cancer?
Ans: The latitudinal value of the Tropic of Cancer is (23 ½o N) in the Northern Hemisphere.
4. What are the three heat zones of the Earth?
Ans: The three heat zones of the earth are :
i)Torrid zone ii)Temperate zone iii) Frigid zone.
5. What are latitudes and longitudes ?
i) All parallel circles from the Equator to the poles are called parallels of latitude.
ii) Lines of reference running from North Pole to South Pole are called Meridians of Longitudes.
6. Why does the Torrid zone receive maximum amount of heat?
Ans: The Torrid zone receives maximum amount of heat when the midday sun is exactly overhead at least once a year on all latitudes between the Tropics.
7. Why is it 5.30 p.m in India and 12 noon in London?
Ans: India is located east of Greenwich at 82o 30 East so it is 5 hours and 30 minutes ahead of Greenwich Mean Time . So it will be 5.30 in India when it is 12 noon in London.
Tick the correct answers:
1. The value of the Prime Meridian is _________.
i) 900 ii) 00 √ iii) 600
2. The frigid zone lies near ____________ .
i) The poles √ ii) The equator iii) Tropic of cancer
3. The total number of longitude_____________.
i) 360 ii) 180 √ iii) 90
4. The Antarctica circle is located in____________ .
i) The northern hemisphere ii) The southern hemisphere √ iii) The eastern hemisphere
5. Grid is a network of ______________.
i) Latitudes and longitudes √ ii) The tropic of cancer and the tropic of Capricorn iii)The north pole and the south pole
1. 00 2. The poles 3. 180 4. The southern hemisphere 5. Latitudes and longitudes .
Fill in the blanks:
1. The topic of Capricorn is located at ____________ .
2. The standard meridian of India is ____________ .
3. The 0 meridian is also known as _______________ .
4. The distance between the longitudes decreases towards _________ .
5. The arctic circle is located in the ___________ hemisphere .
1. 23½0 north 2. 82030 east longitudes. 3. Prime meridian 4. Poles 5. Northern .