5.2   Text Questions :

Answer the following questions :

1)  How is the “trabeate” principle of architecture different from the “arcuate”?
Ans:
In trabeate principle of architecture roofs, doors and window are made by placing a horizontal beam across two vertical columns whereas, In arcuate principle of architecture the weight of the superstructure above the doors and windows are carried by arches.

2)  What is a Shikhara?
Ans:
A Shikhara is the topmost part of the temple. It is usually the topmost pointed portion of the temple.

3)  What is Pietra Dura ?
Ans: Pietra Dura refers to coloured, hard stones placed in depressions carved into marble or sandstone creating beautiful ornate patterns.

4)  What are the elements of a Mughal Chahar Bagh garden?
Ans:
Mughal chahar Bagh garden consists of four garden. It is placed within rectangular walled enclosures and divided into four quarters by artificial channels.

5)  How did a temple communicate the importance of a king?
Ans:
Temples were beautifully constructed because they were places of worship. It also communicated the kings devotion to God and their power and wealth. The largest temples were all constructed by king. The temple was a miniature model of the world ruled by the king and his allies. As they worshipped their deities together in the royal temples, it seemed as they brought the just rule of the gods on earth.

6)  An inscription in Shah Jahan’s diwan-i-khas in Delhi stated, “If there is paradise on earth, it is here, it is here.”. How was this image created?
Ans: In Shah Jahan’s reign the different elements of Mughal architecture were fused together in a grand harmonious synthesis. Shah Jahan’s diwan-i-khas was planned carefully. It was placed within a large courtyard. It was specially constructed to resemble a mosque. Behind the emperor’s throne there were a series of Pietra dura inlays which depicted the legendary Greek Goa. Orpheus played the lute. The Diwan-i-khas aimed to communicate that the king’s Justice would treat the high and the low’s as equals creating a world where all could live together in harmony.

7)  How did the Mughal court suggest that everyone the rich and the poor, the powerful and the weak received justice equally from the emperor?
Ans:
The Diwan-i-khas was specially constructed to resemble a mosque so that the people have faith in the king’s justice as they have faith in God . The king always believed in treating high and the low as equal. It aimed at creating a place where all can live together and in peace. There was no difference between the rich and poor in the emperor’s court.

8)  The rich and powerful construct large housed today in what ways were the constructions of kings and their courtiers different in the past?
Ans:
The construction of kings and their courtiers were very different in the past as compared to the rich and powerful constructed a large houses now. The houses of kings were very huge with massively big doors and windows, thick structured wall, big courtiers, big gardens, strong pillars and beautifully in-scripted balconies. But today houses are not built huge, they don’t have big doors and windows, no big garden, no courtiers no in-scripted balconies. There is a huge difference in the houses built in those days and the houses which are built now.

9)  What role did the Yamuna play in the layout of the new Mughal city at Shahjahanabad?
Ans:
The river Yamuna played a very important role in the layout of the new mughal city at Shahjahanabad . Shah Jahan preferred the river front garden in the layout of the Taj Mahal. He developed this architectural form as a means to control the access of the rivers to the noble people. In the new city of Shahjahanabad, the imperial palace commanded the river front. Only few nobles were given access to the river. All others had to construct their homes in the city away from the river Yamuna.

10)  Look at figure 4 ( in the text book ) how could that building be constructed faster today?
Ans:
The building which is shown in figure 4 is constructed in those days where there were no modern equipments used in building house. It was difficult to construct such a huge building without the help of skilled masons and labourers. Such buildings requires a lot of man powers that is the labourers. Whereas buildings nowadays can be built faster due to the modern technologies, facilities , equipments , tools which can construct huge buildings very easily and in less time.

11)  Find out whether there is a statue of or a memory to a great person in your village or town.
(i)Why was placed there?
(ii)What purpose does it serve?
Ans:
(i) There is a statue of  Vasco-Da-Gama wearing full regalia , gazing at the Mandovi river. He was the first European to sail around the cape of Good hope to reach India. The Viceroy’s arch in Old Goa was built in the memory of Vasco-Da-Gama in 1597, by his great grandson Francisco da Gama after he became the Viceroy.
(ii)  There was a ceremonial importance attached to this structure during the Portuguese rule. Every governor who took charge of Goa had to pass through the arch.

12)  Visit and describe any park or garden in your neighbourhood. In what ways is it similar to or different from the gardens of the Mughals?
Ans:
The gardens of Mughals were spread over a very large area. There were a large variety of flowers. It had thick structured walls. But the gardens which I visited in my neighbourhood is not so large. Many people come over there specially during evening. So the garden is not protected properly. Hence we don’t find any similarities.